Belgium is located in Europe between the countries
of France and the Netherlands. The country is slightly larger than the
state of Maryland in area. The climate of Belgium is temperate and temperatures
generally range between 72 degrees in the summer and 32 degrees in the
winter. There is a very small coastline along the western edge of the
country. Belgium is well known by history buffs because some of the fiercest
battles of World War I and WWII were fought there.
Brussels is the capital of Belgium and also home
to the headquarters of the European Union.
- - French and Dutch (Flemish) are the official languages
of Belgium. French is spoken in the capital in and the south of Belgium
(also called Wallonia) and Dutch is spoken in the north (also called
- Traditionally the main meal in Belgium is typically
eaten around 6-7 PM but many in Belgium eat their hot meal at noon
in their school or workplace and eat a light meal or snack in the
- Belgians typically use the continental style of
eating with the knife in the right hand and the fork in the left hand.
- 18 is the driving age in Belgium.
- Belgium is famous for chocolates, beer, waffles,
and French fries (which the Belgians claim to have invented) and brussel
- Education in Belgium is free and compulsory between
the ages of 6 and 18.
Download the Belgium
Culture Gram here.
What does it take to be a host family? We're happy to
explain the process, responsiiblities, and of course the JOYS