Ecuador is located on the western coast of South
America between Colombia and Peru and is the smallest country in South
America. It is about the size of Colorado in area. The Andes mountains
run through Ecuador. The world’s largest active volcano, Cotopaxi is located
in the Ecuadoran Andes. The Galapagos Islands, made famous by Charles
Darwin are part of Ecuador and located about 600 miles off the coast.
The Equator runs directly through Ecuador. Ecuador’s climate is tropical
along the coast but cooler inland at higher elevations. Ecuador is the
world’s largest exporter of bananas.
The capital city of Ecuador is Quito.
- - 95% of the people belong to
the Roman Catholic faith
- Spanish is the official language of Ecuador but there are also
many native languages spoken throughout the country.
- The monetary unit used in Ecuador is the U.S. Dollar.
- Soccer is the national sport of Ecuador
- Schools in Ecuador are on the same calendar year as in the United
States and students attend from September through June.
- The cuisine in Ecuador is diverse but most regions in Ecuador follow
the traditional three-course meal of soup, a second course that includes
rice and a protein such as meat or fish, and then dessert and coffee
to finish. Supper is usually lighter, and sometimes consists only
of coffee or herbal tea with bread
Download the Ecuador
Culture Gram here.
What does it take to be a host family? We're happy to
explain the process, responsiiblities, and of course the JOYS