- Most students wear the same uniform (white polo shirt, black slacks/skirt)
- Education is taken very seriously and many students go to additional test preparation classes so that they can enter the best university.
- Everyone takes their shoes off inside their homes.
- Japan is a group-oriented society and loyalty to the group and respect for authority are highly valued traits.
- Losing face, especially in public is very undesirable.
- Japanese people tend to be very polite and may give a quick ‘yes’ answer even when they may not mean it.
- People usually don’t walk and eat at the same time. It’s considered rude.
- Rice and tea are part of almost every meal.
Download the Japan Culture Gram here.