Spain is a large European country located in southwestern
Europe on the Iberian peninsula. Geographically it is about the size of
Nevada and Utah combined. The climate of Spain is varied from that of
long winters and hot summers in central Spain to a more Mediterranean
climate along the southern and eastern coasts.
Madrid is the capital of Spain. One of the most famous events in Spain
is the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona held every July.
- - Spain has 4 official languages: Castilian Spanish,
Catalan, Galician, and Basque
- - Spaniards highly value personal honor such as keeping
one’s word, however punctuality is viewed in a relaxed way.
- - Social space is quite close for Spaniards and they
tend to keep eye contact for a longer period of time than other cultures.
- Lunch is the largest meal of the day, typically eaten about 2 pm.
It often includes three courses. Dinner is often eaten at 9-10 pm with
a snack in between about 5 pm.
- Children, especially boys are not typically expected to help with
- Soccer (fútbol) is a popular sport in Spain, but like most European
countries it is not offered as a school sport. Instead young people
must join a community club to play their favorite sport.
Download the Spain
Culture Gram here.
What does it take to be a host family? We're happy to
explain the process, responsiiblities, and of course the JOYS