Thailand is located in Southeast Asia and was formerly
called Siam. It is called ʻThe Land of Smilesʼ because the people are
friendly and warm. The climate of Thailand is tropical with a rainy season
from July to November and a dry season for the remainder of the year.
Geographically Thailand is slightly larger in area than the state of Wyoming.
Bangkok is the capital and largest city in Thailand.
It was once called the Venice of the East because of its many canals.
- - 96% of the people from Thailand
- Students in Thailand wear uniforms to school.
- - It is customary to remove your shoes when entering
a home and students do not wear shoes in the classroom.
- Children are typically given English word nicknames which are used
by family, friends, and teachers. The nicknames often describe a physical
appearance or behavior.
- Chopsticks are used to eat noodles, but other items are eaten with
spoons and forks. Rice is often eaten with the fingers.
- - In Thailand the head is considered the most important
part of the body. Therefore no one ever touches another person on the
- Feet are the lowliest part of the body and one must sit with feet
tucked underneath them.
- - Except in Bangkok, young people have little contact
with the opposite sex and dating is not common.
- - The movie and musical ʻThe King and Iʼ is banned
Download the Thailand
Culture Gram here.
What does it take to be a host family? We're happy to
explain the process, responsiiblities, and of course the JOYS