Venezuela is located on the northern coast of
South America. The country is about the size of Texas and Oklahoma combined.
The tallest waterfall in the world, Angel Falls, made popular by the movie
“Up” is located in Venezuela. The country is located near the equator
and has a tropical climate throughout most of the country. The average
temperature is 80 degrees year round.
The capital of Venezuela is Caracas. Spanish is
the official language of the country, but there are still more than 25
native languages spoken in Venezuela. English is slowly becoming the country’s
second official language and is taught in many schools.
Physical beauty and outward appearance are very important to Venezuelans and they are quite proud that Venezuelan contestants score well in the Miss World and Miss Universe pageants.
- Family is important in Venezuela and children typically live at home with their parents and siblings until they marry.
- Education is free and compulsory for all children through 12th grade. Public universities are also free for Venezuelan students.
- Many middle and upper class families send their children to private schools.
- Venezuelans are typically outgoing and gregarious
- Friendly conversations can sometimes be misinterpreted as arguments because they are often loud
- Pointing with one’s finger is considered rude and vulgar.
- The ‘okay’ symbol is usually meant as an insult.
- Carnival is a favorite holiday in Venezuela.
Download the Venezuela Culture Gram here.